Friday, November 17, 2006

Casino Royale (with Cheese) Review - No Spoilers

So my work group went out today to see the new James Bond movie "Casino Royale". I had been disappointed with recent Bond movies as the cheesiness was high and Bond became this untouchable superhero who was never in any real danger. The latest Bond movie is actually based off the first Bond book. So in a sense, the series is starting over. In this movie, the new Bond is really a new Bond. He has just gotten "double-0" status and is really sort of new in the field. This made the movie more interesting, although certainly not a spy in training type thing like Spy Game (still my favorite spy movie). The "believability" factor is certainly higher in this movie and you do get a sense that Bond isn't perfect, and at times is in mortal danger. Story wise, it's not bad, although the secondary love story felt tacked on. The beginning has a chase scene full of nice stunts, but that chase is too perfect in a Jackie Chan kind of way. I also couldn't believe that Bond was typing an email where the cursor was missing. Is it really that hard to hire Industrial Light & Magic to put in a cursor?! The poker part was ok, although it was pretty obvious what the results would be and what the hands were. The only technical issue with the poker part was the final hand. They players showed their hands in the wrong order. I didn't mind the idea of the ending, but I didn't like how it actually ended (you might understand what I mean when you see it). Overall, I think it's worth a viewing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home