Monday, July 09, 2007

Movie Review: Deja Vu

Rented Deja Vu which stars Denzel Washington. I like Denzel, but his characters are all very similar. As for the movie, it turned out to not be what I expected. I like the basic premise of the movie, but was disappointed by the ending and also some technical faults.

Don't hit "more" if you don't want to see spoilers.

I like stories about time travel, so having a device being able to look into the past was an interesting plot device. Some of the things pointed out the scene seemed out of place or incorrect made sense in the end which I thought was a nice touch, but nothing we haven't seen in other movies.

The big thing that bothered me is when Denzel's character shines a laser pointer into a projected image of the past and the people in the past see it. I wouldn't have a problem with this if the screen they were watching was the actual wormhole, but as far as I could tell, it was just a computer screen since transferring data through the wormhole used a bigger device. They should have cut that out completely.

Another thing that bothered me was actually sending Denzel's character back to the past. Obviously the military has tried this without success, but they are willing to try again with a person? I would have preferred if he simply kept using the device to send notes to himself. But this still conflicts with a problem I have with the ending.

In the end, they changed the past. They explained this similar to how Back to the Future explained it which is the multi-verse theory. I don't have a problem with this, expect that all the details they left in the movie indicate that Denzel had ALREADY traveled to the past, but had not changed the future (which would have been the present). They should have just been more consistent. Either they couldn't change the past, or that they could change it, but the two timelines don't conflict.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home